Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Saturday 8 March 2014

Makgeolli Brain... (Saturday 8th Mar 2014)

Dear Sal,

Last weekend was an alcohol fueled blur with a bombardment of introductions to so many new people that I know I will fail to remember most of their names. Also, I just wanted to apologize if my last few letters have come across as a bit... well, like I'm an emotionally overdeveloped teenager on crack. I am loving it here, there is something in the air that I can't describe, but I think it might be... sewage?

Every Friday night, the group of people David works with go to their local makgeolli haunt. It's run by this very sweet Korean woman who does everything completely on her own. She serves, cooks, cleans and anything else that may need doing. She even has time to interact with everyone one in there, despite not really speaking English. The drink comes in a dented brass kettle and you drink from metal cups, like 1920's Prohibition America. 

  
The dangers of makgeolli don't make themselves known to begin with. The first cup goes down easily, is this even alcoholic? The second is smooth and refreshing. The third through to six cups disappear without you even realizing. This is when the effects start to kick in. You feel a little bit floaty. It is a very pleasant state to be in, that is of course until the morning. Makgeolli brain has become a widely used term within the branch. I can't even start to describe the feeling exactly other then to say, oh my God my head!

We were both suffering from the infamous Makgeolli brain when David moved Saturday morning, in one of the worst planned events I've seen in a while. We woke up early, ok about 10, with nowhere to go. Those clever people at Davids work thought it was a brilliant idea for them to have both the apartment David was staying in to be professionally cleaned at the same time as the one he will be moving in to... Genius. We would not be able to move him in until five. We seeked refuge in David's new neighbor and co worker, Bridget where we watched 30 Rock and ate omelette. We were very grateful to for her kindness and internet.

The afternoon was spent wondering around Home Plus, getting some essentials. I brought some cereal and was greatly looking forward to having a normal breakfast again. That was until I remembered I still don't have a bowl or a spoon. Oh, and I forgot to buy milk. I needed to lie down but there was no time for that. As soon as we moved David in, we were right back out again, making our way on the subway downtown.

There is a drink here called 'condition' and I've heard whispers on the wind that it's the cure for hangovers. All you do is drink one before you start drinking, and then one after. This theory was put in to practice on Saturday night by both David and I.

The rabbit warren that is downtown Daegu is littered with a mixture of shops and bars. There is pretty much anything and everything you could possible want or need. I have yet to find my bearings to the area, as so far I've only been lead by a group of people down the criss-crossing roads to the next bar. Through the hazy  eyes of alcohol, my navigational instincts seem to have deserted me. I had a great night and met some wonderful new friends who I look forward to spending more time with. 

We were invited to something that has become known as Sunday Funday, where apparently they just do what they did on Saturday night all over again. We politely declined.

Love, hugs and one more kettle of Makgeolli.

Samuel James

p.s) I now have a phone and will start taking more pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what you're talking about - you've always been an emotionally overdeveloped teenager on crack...that's why we're friends! NEVER CHANGE! Hah x

    ReplyDelete