Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Sage Of Our Age... (Tuesday 18th Mar 2014)

Dear Sal,
 


The second week of teaching went by very much the same as the first. The days almost bleed into one, time passes without realising. I feel like I'm doing so much, yet nothing at all. It feels like I've been here forever. My mid week drinking ban lasted all the way until Monday night, that's one day, one whole day. I was doing really well until I was invited to play a game of beer pong. Part of living in Korea and experiencing the life and culture here is to say 'yes' more. So far it seems I've been saying yes to alcohol more than anything else.

This week has been nice, as I start to get know my students more. Who are the ones who can actually speak English, who are the ones that try and who are the little bastards who don't do bugger all. Some classes I like, some I hate, but all in all I don't mind. I don't love the work, I know that David certainly doesn't, but its a hell of a lot better than the mind numbing world that retail was.

We made the brave decision to return to Friday night makgeolli, where we ate a very hot dish whose name I can't remember. To solve the numbing pain of my burning lips, the makgeolli worked a treat. David of course ate more of the dish that I can only imagine was made of nothing but chillies. So in turn he drank more than I did, I know right, there is a first time for everything. The next morning the devastation of the night before was truly felt by Davids bathroom floor. I don't think I've ever seen him that sick/hungover. He slept most of the day.

After half arsed wrestling with my mind as to whether I should stay and look after him or go out and explore, I made plans with Bridget to go down town. We had coffee in the amazing English book shop where we discussed out favourite books and exchanged reading lists.
The evening was spend with Raquel, who we trained with, and a group of David's co workers. David text me regularly to remind me he wasn't feeling well and that I was a monster for leaving him at home. Nothing new then.

Sunday morning came and David had made a significant recovery, but was still not a hundred percent. He was determined to get out of his bed and not waste one of his rare days off though so we headed down town again to look round a museum, walk through a park with a temple, and went to a cat café. The museum was interesting, however the English translations were by far the high light. I recommend everyone pays a visit to the 'Daegu Modern Historty Museum'.

 

I was so excited to finally venture in to a cat café. I could barely contain myself as we walked through the door, but then the smell hit me. It was vile, I was already hungover but the smell of over a dozen cats piss and shit made me want to vomit. The cats were very friendly, if you had food. They formed large groups around tables of Koreans who lured them with some sort of cat meth. We didn't know how to order this magic that the cats loved, so we sat drinking our coffee and watched. I did make one friend who came to join me several times during our short visit. I called him Wordsworth, and I strongly believe him to be some sort of wizard in disguise, the true sage of our age.

Love, Hugs and... you know what, I can't think of anything.

Samuel James

No comments:

Post a Comment