Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Friday 7 March 2014

The First Week.. (Friday 7th Mar 2014)

Dear Sal,

The first week flew by more quickly than I could have hoped for. The six hours of teaching moves so quickly and I find myself running behind by the end of each class.

On Wednesday, I only have to work half a day which is great news. I went out for dinner with my co worker Carol, who is also lucky enough to be blessed with a midweek break. She took me to a traditional Korean BBQ place, which was all kinds of amazing. We drank soju, and beer, followed by another and another and another. Before I knew it, we were down town where I bumped into David, which was a lovely surprise. I had a really good time with Carol and it was nice to get to know her more. 

Throughout most of the week, my classes have gone well, I think. I haven't really been given that much feedback, from the cameras that continually film and scrutinize my teaching performance. On Thursday though, my second lesson was a complete car crash. Actually scrap that, it was more like five Hindenburg's all blowing up at once. I didn't have enough prep time and was hung over. If they watch that video, I think they will find a few things to comment on. This was also the day I went to the immigration office. 

I was originally told I would be picked up from my apartment at ten. After waiting over an hour, I made my way down to the school to find out what the bloody hell was going on. I was greeted there by my branch manger Joanne. "Sam? Oh, Sam. I'm sorry, I changed the time and forget to tell you." 

For some reason, in Korea it's perfectly acceptable to make plans, then arrive late, change them or just not even turn up at all. Now the branch owner Alex was taking me and he would pick me up in ten minutes... Over thirty minutes later he arrive. I got in to the car and was handed a luke warm cup of coffee, a small gift to win my forgiveness. It didn't work.

We were of course late. Getting to the immigration office, which was populated by hordes of westerns accompanied by a native Korean, just as they close for lunch. For the next hour, I had a very awkward meal with Alex and a very sweet woman who spoke a little more English than him, but still not much. I was asked a series of question sporadically, "How are you finding Daegu?" "Have you eaten Korean food?" "Do you like kimchi?" All to which I desperately tried to start more of an in depth conversation, but fell at every hurdle. There was an awful lot of long silences. 

After one of the most socially painful lunches of my life, we made our way back and quickly sorted out my alien card which I will receive in about three weeks, but maybe more, maybe less or maybe never at all. After that, I was taken to the bank to open an account. I signed Samuel so many times that I forgot how to spell my name about half way through. Thursday felt like it was never going end. 

So much happens here everyday that if I actually sat down to write it all out, I would rival Steven King in terms of word count. I will try my best to keep you up to date, but at the moment, I feel drained both physically and emotionally. Pangs of doubt run through my mind as I think to myself, did I make the right choice coming here?

love, hugs and no more midweek drinking.

Samuel James.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing...this week I spent approximately 6 hours on a crowded tube and 40 hours in front of a computer screen! So trust me, you've definitely made the right decision! Haha, continue to work hard mr and soon enough you'll reap the benefits of this incredible experience that you are having! Miss your ears...just kidding - I could never miss them! Haha x

    ReplyDelete