Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Thursday 31 July 2014

RMAs... (Thurday 20th Mar 2014)

Dear Sal,

By the end of last week I had to write something called an RMA for each of my students, and while not a huge task to complete, it is a pain in the bloody arse. What they are is a basic student report. Their individual skills, performance in class and a suggestion on how to improve. I hardly know these kids, some of them I've only taught once and I am expected to to evaluate them all uniquely. I have about fifty of them.

After doing about thirty of these blasted things my mind turned to slush and I found I was repeating myself automatically. "They work hard in class and score well in tests but are reluctant to speak English when asked questions... Blah, blah, blah... "

The joyous moment when I realised that I had finally completed the task came an hour before work started on Friday. I felt wonderful, that was until the students arrived and I had two of my worst lessons yet. The first group seemed liked they died at one point, clasped on the tables, not even responding to me screaming at them. I know they work hard all week, and weekend, but I'm really not that dull. The second class is older and just kept talking in Korean. Despite me constantly reminding them to "only speak English!" It got to the point when I had to take them out of class and took them to the branch manage, who shouted at them in Korean. I don't know what she said or did, but when they came back they were as good as gold, or something else that is actually good. Like as priest, oh no wait...

To celebrate finally finishing the RMAs and the end of yet another week I hopped straight on the subway to Youngsan. Where I met David and Raquel and sat in a park eating the most amazing fried chicken I have ever tasted, before heading along to Makgeolli. Yes, we went back after last weekend. Sometimes you've just got to be brave.

love, hugs and you need to practice reading out loud more.

Samuel James.

P.s) I wrote you your very own student report...

1 comment:

  1. Hahahah, this is brilliant! I love my report! It's because i'm dyslexic in my speech - I'll work on this Teacher Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete