Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Thursday 31 July 2014

WARNING MAY CONTAINS NUTS... and blood (Saturday 17th May 2014)

Dear Sal,

I'm very sorry for my lack of letters over the last couple of months. Korea has change my life in ways I could never have imagined, for good and for bad. I won't bore you with the details now, but I will explain as best as I can one day. For now I will tell you about this weeks escapade. After being told by many people that I was drinking too much when I first arrived I have manged to out do myself over the last two months, but worry no more. I am unable to drink, doctors orders. 

Since coming to Korea I have not cooked at home once. Arriving in my apartment to find nothing in my kitchen, not so much as a chop stick. Lack of money and getting to know people has meant I didn't have the need nor the the time to. However, gradually over the last few months I have been buying kitchen utensils, pots, pans (and yes, even food)with the ultimate goal of cooking a meal for myself. Sounds simple enough. 

I went shopping, brought some fresh vegetables and tofu, I don't even know why now, to be "healthy" maybe. I placed them out on my kitchen table, made sure I had everything prepared and that my first home cooked meal in Korea would be perfect, or nice at least. I started by picking up the onion, which I place on the chopping bored and begun to chop, like I have done, many, many times before with no problems what so ever... but not this time. 

Half way through the job, I decided in my wisdom to cut off the root end by lifting the onion up in my hand and pushing the knife inwards towards the palm of my hand, and - f**k! I had sliced the very tip of my middle finger nearly completely off. (Please find enclosed a photo of said finger.)


Displaying CAM00222.jpg

The next thirty minutes kind of when by in a blur, as I made do with a makeshift plaster made of tissue and tape. Clumsily I dressed myself for work and stumbled my way down the road. This journey normally takes me about ten minutes, but I somehow managed to lose almost half an hour as I stopped and started. i ventured into a shop to ask for plaster. I waved my, literally, bloody finger in the woman behind the counters face. She shock her head, pointed down the street and said something in Korean. I took this to mean, I can't help you. 

I just need a coffee and some sugar I thought, that will help get me through the work today. The Korean work ethic means that you have to be dead or dying to not come in to work, so I assume quite rightly no amount of blood loss would justify my absence. However, after getting my finger caught in something and an eruption of blood over my desk, I was swiftly taken to hospital, which are every where here.

Shortly within arriving they had tied a rubber band round the base of my finger, and had me hold a fabric bandage round the tip. I lied on a gurney in a room full of moaning Koreans and stared at the clock waiting for a Doctor to see me. I hoped that this whole process would take a while and I could even miss a bit of work, they might even send me home. No luck. I was all stitched up and ready to leave all in time to start work at 4... 


Displaying CAM00224.jpg

Displaying CAM00227.jpg

I spent most of the day in a daze sat down behind my desk not really too sure what was going on. so, not that dissimilar from a normal day. I have to return on Monday to have my finger re-bandaged and I was given some pills to take. Heaven knows what they are. 

Love, hugs and awkward left handed waves.

Samuel James 

P.S) Don't worry, I ate the F**k out of that onion. 


Displaying CAM00230.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment