Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Monday 15 September 2014

Care Package... (Thursday 4th Sep 2014)

Dear Sal,

After two weeks of the new term I have settled in to my new routine with ease. In fact, at the half way point of my year in Korea I finally feel settled in to living here. Over the last few months I have spent so much time and money going out every night, having dinner and drinks with friends. Reluctant to spend an evening alone, for obvious reason.

Last Friday I came into work to find a parcel waiting for me. I had seen so many of my coworkers received a numerous number of these care packages over the last few months that at first I thought it was a mistake. But upon further inspection, I saw my name and got very excited. The gift came for my family, which included some Jungle Formula, Savlon cream, for those pesky mosquito bites, and a large  pot a paprika, a spice that is next to impossible to find in Korea. The package also contained a number of birthday cards, for the dreaded event later this weekend, and a collection of photo's.

As I looked through them it was nice to be reminded of my family and the times we've shared, but as I continued I realised something was missing. The biggest part of the last seven years was no where to been seen, as if that part of my life had been wiped for my history. And that made me feel sad, because I don't want to forget. Not that I'm not grateful for the gift, I am. 

I placed the pictures on the wall and my apartment finally feels like home. I have finally acquired all the essential items for my kitchen, through shopping for things when and if I needed them. But also from invading peoples apartments when they leave to collect their abandoned belongings. I have a toaster oven now, this makes me very excited at the prospects of my culinary future in Korea. 

Love, hugs and twenty minutes at a hundred and eighty degrees.

Samuel James

No comments:

Post a Comment