Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Andong Mask Festival... (Sunday 28th September)

Dear Sal,

As September draws to close, so does the heat that has been bothering me for the last few months. Autumn is on its way, and I couldn't be happier. My favorite time of year is fast approaching, and I mean Halloween, not Christmas. Once again I refused to lose another Sunday to a hangover and was determined to get out of my apartment and explore the sights and sounds that Korea has to offer. This week my friend Anna invited me to join her on a day trip to Andong to see the Mask Festival, a showcase of Korean culture, masks and dance. 

Andong is well known throughout Korea for its culture and folk transitions, but it is best known for it's mask festival. Mask wearing is an ancient tradition in Korea, they used to ward of evil spirits apparently, that is celebrated is an annul event that last for a week. There are a variety of traditional masked dance show to see, for a fee of course, budget permitting. In the end we decided not to see a show. But the experience of the day was well worth the trip, even without seeing one of them.

There was plenty to see and do at the Andong Mask Festival. From the large market of world foods, clothing, jewelry and masks. To Halloween costumes and decorations. You can of course make your own mask, with many opportunities and different options to choose from. Some of the people we went with decided to make their own bracelets. A nice idea in theory, but in Practice it took a lot longer then you would think. And without prior practice and skill can seem like a daunting task. I decided to buy one ready made, which I plan on giving it to friend as a gift. 

Love, hugs and the gift isn't for you. 

Samuel James. 






No comments:

Post a Comment