Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Monday 18 August 2014

Every Duck has its Day... (Monday 18th Aug 2014)

Dear Sal,

How I wish there was some sort of break between each term, but alas, this is Korea. As one term ends on Friday another begins on Monday. There is not a single week, let alone day off for this fool. The last week of term started off like so many over the last month, raining. There had been a plan to spend Sunday at Suseong Lake, riding the duck paddle boats before going to a near by restaurant to eat duck. The rain however had other ideas. 

The loss of our adventure on the paddle boats was no skin off my back, having previously experience the, harder then you would expect, activity a few months before. It was the meal of duck I was looking forward too and it didn't disappoint. Quite possibly the best meal I have had in Korea, I will defiantly be coming back for more. As we ran through the now pouring rain to our taxis home I had one thought on my mind, only one week of intensives left, thank the lord. 

The rain continued all night and well into the next day, and while I heard tale of some peoples class rooms being flooded I found mine to be dry as a bone, but empty. No desks, no chairs and none of my belongings. A photocopier now resided at the back of my class where I had often stood to see if the students were doing their work or surfing the internet. What the-? 

"Sam Sam?" I heard my name being called from my mangers office across the hall. Apparently their brilliant new idea was to turn my class room into a copy room and parents consultation room. I had been ousted down the hall to room 707, the end of the line. Not a problem at all, with a new teacher coming next week I would be moving class room anyway, so why not now. It wasn't until about fifteen minuets before class started that I discovered my first problem. 

As I moved desks around I glaceed to above the white board, I thought I would check what my WiFi code was so I could write it down to make the students lives easier. WiFi is essential for the tablet classes, to connect to the students tablets and the lessons themselves. There was nothing there. No little white box blinking green lights at me. They had moved me to a room with no WiFi, a room in which I could not teach. After a brief moment of panic and a swift reshuffling of class rooms, everything was sorted, kind of. I had a class room with WiFi, but it wasn't mine. I had to move to another room for my next class adding to the confusion. Who knows where I will end up for the rest of the week. 

My second problem however, was much more severe. No remote to turn on the air-con... it hangs from the ceiling eight foot above my head taunting me. I don't know if I can make it.

Love, hugs and wait, where is the remote?!

Samuel James.

1 comment:

  1. What?! No Wifi or remote? Are they living in the 12th century? Haha x

    ReplyDelete