Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Sunday 3 August 2014

Upo Wetlands... (Sunday 3rd Aug 2014)

Dear Sal... 

Over the last few months, while I haven't been writing to you, I have been trying my best to spend less time drinking and more time experiencing the culture of Korea beyond the walls of a bar. The first place outside of Daegu I found my way to was the Upo Wetlands. (I say Found my way, I of course went with friends who knew where they were going.)



Upo expands out across the wetlands of the beautiful Changnyeong countryside. It is made up of a collection of small pockets of water and one large lake that resides right in the middle. This natural beauty spot is home to several endangered species of plants, birds, mammals and fish. But the only thing I seem to see everywhere were bloody spiders. And I'm talking weird, bloody spiders. Big ugly black things, with bright yellow strips on them, and one of the most unusual webs I've ever seen. I mean just look at it!


 




Upo is a very tranquil and beautiful place, easy to get to, completely free of charge and absolutely riddled with insects. We did go on a Sunday, so maybe through out the week you have to pay, but I don't see why you would. 

Love, hugs and... hold on, where did that spider go?

Samuel James

1 comment:

  1. Euugh that spider IS horrendous....where did it go?! Wait, what's this letter I've just received from you? ARRRRGHHHH! ...dead now!

    ReplyDelete