Dear Sal... A collection of letters home to England from South Korea.

Sunday 17 August 2014

Summer Intensives... Part Three (Sunday 17th Aug 2014)

Dear Sal...

This week has been a horrendous crawl to the finish line. I thought I would have gotten used to the early starts and late nights by now, but I'm not. I guess I'm just not as young as I used to be. My body is really taking a hit and for the first time since coming to Korea I feel unwell. In My first few months in Korea my body was able to with stand so much. A complete cultural diet change, a new sleeping pattern and a excessively increased alcohol level. And I felt fine. A little tired every now again but fine. Maybe a little bit hungover, ok, a lot hangover, but fine. 

Back in England I suffered constantly with bad hay fever and allergic reactions to numerous things, not taking any medicine played its part. I thought I would be much the same in Korea. But after being here this long and feeling fine I started to wonder why. Maybe a plant exclusive to the English shores or perhaps the climate. Whatever it is, in Korea I have been free of this demon that has haunted me for years. However, after three weeks or lack of sleep due to these summer intensives my body seems to be finally giving up. It feels like I have a cold and I bloody well hate it.

One of my students brought me in some onion juice proclaiming, "it good for health." That it may be, but it tasted vile. I'd rather eat an onion like an apple then drink that again. I had about six of my young students crowd round me as I began to drink. "One shot, one shot, one shot" they chanted, but I was unable to complete the task. I love onions, in a lasagna, just not in juice form. I do not intend to have anymore, even if it will help me "live many Year"

The knowledge that there is only one week left of these lesson is a blessing. I long to have my mornings back. But also knowing that the term ends at the same time brings other feelings, as some people leave and new ones arrive.

Love, hugs and ah, ah, ah choo!

Samuel James

No comments:

Post a Comment